Wednesday 6 July 2011

What is Homesteading?

 I've found from my foray in blogland over the past few months that, as much as I like a wide variety of blogs, my favourite by far are the homesteading blogs.  Whether the blogger is living the life or just researching and producing the occasional post makes no 'nevermind' to me.  I just enjoy the whole subject and could read on forever - too many Little House books and shows when I was young, I guess!  There are few amongst us who have not read or watched Laura's life as it unfolded and wished that we were there.

I've been wondering though, what we really know about homesteading.  After all, what have we ever done regarding this way of life besides 'read' and 'watch'?  What would we be willing to give up for this life and what would we be willing to live without?  Do we even have the knowledge of how to do it and, if not, would we know where to get the info. that's needed?  If we could not get the info., would we be willing to learn on our own, at the risk of failure?  More than anything, would we be able to simply do without?

I'm doing this bunch of posts for myself more than anything as a way of studying homesteading and learning, not because I already know lots and have the ability to teach (I don't!).  Feel free to add anything you wish along the way (do so kindly!)  So many of you have knowledge and experience that the rest of us (well, me anyway) would love to hear about.

The definition of homesteading according to wiki - "Broadly defined, homesteading is a lifestyle of simple self-sufficiency....As of 2010, the term may apply to anyone who follows the back-to-the-land movement by adopting a sustainable, self-sufficient lifestyle.  While land is no longer freely available in most areas of the world, homesteading remains as a way of life.  According to author John Seymour, 'urban homesteading' incorporates small-scale, sustainable agriculture and homemaking."

According to Wikipedia-Dictionary.com-Merriam-Webster-The Free Dictionary, homesteading is described as "1. Life as a settler on a homestead. and 2. The granting of homesteads to settlers."  Well, I think all governments have gotten past the 'handing out free land to people in exchange for them living on it' thing so that only leaves #1 - Life as a settler on a homestead.  What is that lifestyle comprised of?  What are the different elements?  What equipment and tools are needed?  What is the test for success?  What is an actual 'settler'?

http://www.edhird.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment