Saturday 5 November 2011

Sources of Heat #2

After I put the photo into yesterday's post, I couldn't continue.  No idea why but I'll continue now.  The gas heater in the photo looks very similar to our old one and yes, ours was a lovely brown colour, too!  It was 3-4 feet long and 2-3 feet wide so it was pretty much a piece of furniture.  The best part about it, besides the instant heat, was the height --- bum height!  Just high enough to lean your butt back against and talk about warm and cozy!  Well, at least it would work that way if you were already leaning when someone turned the heat up.  Many was the time, though, when someone turned the heat up first, then someone else came along and, unaware, took a seat!  Great fun to listen to them yelp, as long as it wasn't me!!  Kinda kidding.  Don't want anyone hurt!

In spite of the wonderful times spent with our gas heater, I still wanted a wood stove.  I blame Laura Ingalls for that, of course!  For setting my sights so high, for giving me such lofty ideas!  A wood stove in the city!  Indeed!  What was I thinking?!  Perhaps I was thinking that the world needs a little more of a pioneering spirit, a little more back-to-the-land spirit, a little more down-hominess, a little more down-to-earth-iness.  Nothing wrong with getting our hands dirty and nothing wrong with a little hard work to teach us to appreciate our resources - maybe I was thinking that.  No matter what I was thinking, I still blame Laura!

http://www.ashbusters.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment