Saturday 3 December 2011

Our Second Farmhouse-Controversial Hedge!

Our second farmhouse had a massive evergreen hedge around it that was at least 10-12 feet high and 6 feet thick.  Even though I'd always wanted to live in the country after having grown up in the city, I still unknowingly approached everything from a city frame of mind.  I should have been thrilled upon seeing this huge windbreak but instead, all I could imagine was lots of flying and creepy-crawling insects, moths, bats, mice, etc.  I really like all of these things...NOT!  And the hedge was dark and looming, blocking the light from the front windows.  And...it had not been looked after for many years.

The first year, I planted the garden behind one section of the hedge.  The next spring, I went to do the same thing and noticed that the hedge had died and turned brown for at least a foot in. A few years before this, when a small evergreen bush that I had planted was dying, my sister-in-law had told me that tiny red spiders were killing it and without chemical spray, it would die for sure.  Well, I didn't use chemical spray, even though it was common and completely legal then.
 
Back to the hedge - within a number of days, it had died at least 6 feet in.  Again, I was not going to use chemicals and we did the only thing we could think of...we pulled it out, that section at least.  We looked at the other section which was at least twice as long, went across the front of the house and turned in an "L" shape to come up to the house.  We decided that we would keep it but cut it down to 3 feet high in order to let some light into the house and front yard and we would do what we could (we knew nothing about hedges, trees or gardening, for that matter.  Only what we stumbled upon!) to let it grow up again a little healthier. When we did this, however, we realized that there was nothing of the hedge left below the 3-foot mark so we took it out, also.

Shortly after all of this, hubby asked the previous owner, who still lived next door, where the septic tank and drilled well was (he never found either!).  While he was at our place looking, he noticed all the hedges gone and freaked!!  He was so mad and did not hesitate to let us know!  We explained about how it was dying...he didn't care.  We then explained about how there was nothing left on the bottom 3 feet.  He stopped, thought for a minute, then said that part was likely his fault because they had stored wood in the bottom 3 feet of the hedges in order to dry it.  Year 'round and for 40 - 50 years.  But he stayed peeved at us forever after that and never forgave us.

For me, it was really hurtful because everwhere I've lived, I've always left everything just as the previous owner had it for up to 5 years, as much as possible, (whether I liked it or not didn't matter)because they usually came back for a visit and I did not want to upset or insult them.  So for me to want to get rid of the hedge was a big deal and I did worry about his reaction.  I certainly did not expect such a strong one!

To some degree, I do understand him, though, because the owner who lived there for the previous year had taken out the white picket fence so that he could drive across the lawn right up to the house.  The white picket fence and the hedge had both been there for decades and I'm sure he (the original owner) was watching the slow disintegration of his life's work!
http://www.nyceducator.com/
The way our hedge should have looked or perhaps the previous owner thought it looked!

http://www.gizmodo.com/
How I REALLY want my hedge to look!
http://www.geograph.org.uk/
This is more like our hedge.
 
Within the next few years after that, we visited the West twice (Saskatchewan) and noticed how many farms had either a windbreak of trees or hedge or a combination of both.  Since I'd grown up in the city and the tall buildings were all the windbreak we needed, I had never spent any time thinking about trees or hedges or their value (even though the nickname for our city was 'The Forest City'.  You'd think something would have registered but no.  In fact, when I would hear 'Forest City', I used to wonder what city they were talking about!  Duh!)
Field windbreak.
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/

 An Iowa windbreak (shelterbelt).
http://www.iowapf.org/
I understand a lot better now, why the old guy was so angry with us.  I understand much better what we lost when we took down our already-existing windbreak and I understand better the benefits to pioneer and current homesteaders.  Anything that keeps our houses warmer, keeps the dust and dirt in the fields where it belongs instead of blowing away and possibly provides us with food in the form of berries is ultra important.
Rabbiteye Blueberry hedge that will grow to 8-10 feet.
Raspberries that will grow 4-8 feet.

Thornless Blackberry that will grow up to 6 feet.
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/
Cranberry that will grow 8-12 feet.

Elderberry bushes are described by wiki as reaching from 9-26 feet.
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/
Saskatoon Berries, also known as the Saskatoon, Serviceberry, Sarvisberry, Juneberry and historically as Pigeon Berry can grow up to 26 feet and sometimes 33 feet.  I mistakenly thought that it was named after Saskatoon, Saskatchewan but instead, the city was named after the berry.  They are found in Alaska, western Canada and the western and north central U.S.

The thornier the hedge, the better.  It might not keep out all 4-legged creatures but might help against the 2-legged kind!
http://www.123rf.com/

2 comments:

  1. Doing research on hedges and your blog came up on a Google search, I really enjoyed reading it.Im going to plant a Privet hedge around my home, city living and new homes being built down the street..ugg! our house is 100 yrs old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for stopping by. 100 year old houses can certainly come with their own problems but there's nothing as beautiful, with all the character and their irreplaceable features. We all need that bit of privacy and hideaway at the end of the day, don't we?! Enjoy your beautiful, old home!!

    ReplyDelete