Monday 9 January 2012

1940 Applalachian Pioneer's Mountain Life And Their Children

I've watched this video quite a number of times and do not get tired of it.  I can't believe that we are lucky enough to have real footage like this to view, review, get ideas from, etc.

I believe I recognize that floor at 1:43.  It looks exactly like the old floor in the back kitchen of our first farmhouse and I used to sweep the dirt down through the floorboards, just like at 1:51.

I've never seen a steel barrel used inside the house for heat, only outside for burning garbage.  The insurance companies would have a fit nowadays if they saw a steel barrel used for heat.  They don't even want them used outside.  Farmers have used them for decades to burn their garbage.  After watching quite a few episodes of the show "Trashopolis", I've come to the conclusion that governments all over the world have no single, simple idea on how to dispose of garbage properly and cleanly and therefore, the farmers have likely been doing a better job.  At any rate, the price of a new wood stove would have been out of the reach of the average 1940 family if they also had to buy a wood kitchen cookstove.  I've seen lots of ideas on Youtube for outdoor cooking from small metal coffee cans to larger barrels.  As my mom used to say, everything old is new again!

No comments:

Post a Comment