Thursday 6 December 2012

My Current Food Storage

Continued from here

It's taken quite a while to get this much extra food stored after getting completely rid of all of our original food storage.  This house isn't the smallest house overall that we've lived in but there just isn't much for storage of any kind.  No front door closet, no back door closet, no closet on the main floor at all and only 2 closets in 4 bedrooms upstairs. 
This is a little space that I managed to find in the kitchen.  The bottom and top cupboards have pots and pans and misc. stuff that I really have nowhere else to put.  Even with these cupboards, we had to add shelves as there were very few. 

This cupboard contains veggies (kernel corn, creamed corn, carrots, peas, green and yellow beans, mixed veggies), cherry pie filling, relish, beef and chicken soup powder, pork and beans, lots of different soups, tin foil etc., teas and a bit of coffee.

I'm amazed when I look at this cupboard at how much of it could be homemade.  I like canned soup but I really like homemade soup more.  It's a lot more work but worth it.  Home grown and home canned veggies, homemade relish and pork and beans - I'm amazed at how different this cupboard would look filled with all of those items.
These shelves are in the new laundry room (anywhere you can get space!) that we built into the garage and were taken from the original laundry room.  That room was in the front corner of the house, getting the wind from 2 different directions and, having no insulation and no heat, was very cold.  The hydro was inside the room instead of inside the walls, as was the plumbing.  I have no idea how the washer pipes didn't freeze. 

I had put my extra food storage in the back of an upstairs closet but it was super hot in summer and freezing in winter so the new laundry room makes more sense as it is heated.  It isn't finished but it is heated!

I see lots more things on these shelves that could be homegrown, homemade or home canned.  I do freeze some of these things but it would be nice to see these shelves filled with canning jars.  In the bottom photo, you can see the dreaded pineapple - yes, always with us!

My Christmas Wish List includes a pressure cooker, a dehydrator, a zoom lense for my camera.......!

No comments:

Post a Comment